Thursday, January 21, 2010

Prosciutto alfredo

I was given 3 fabulous cookbooks for Christmas, "Williams-Sonoma Pasta," another that is simply titled, "Italian," and the coveted Julia Child's, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." I have yet to dive into these considering I have only been home for a few days since Christmas Eve! (I just took down all my decorations and today the tree needs to be put away! Next year wherever I may be in the US, I will come home and take it down the day after Christmas!!) Anywho... This week has been crazy busy and I have been home one night to cook dinner (started at 9PM). I decided that I must open a new cook book for a quick but scrumptious recipe. Scruptious it was! I will never make an alfredo without prosciutto again!


Here's the very, very simple recipe....
  • 1/2 c. Sliced Prosiutto crudo
  • 1/4 c. Butter (mmm!)
  • 2 Shallots, very finely chopped (I did not have shallots, so I used a quarter of an onion and a somewhere around 2-3tsp. of garlic)
  • Salt & freshly ground pepper
  • 3/4 c. heavy cream
  • 12 oz. fettucine (I was bored of fettucine and at my last grocery trip I bought a ton of different, fun, colorful, and funky pastas.. so use what you want! I can't remember the name of the one I used, but it was a fun twist)
  • 1/2 C. freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I didn't have a fresh 1/4 of parmesan, but I did have shaved parmesan from the deli
  • sprig of fresh parsley to garnish
  1. Cut the fat from the prosciutto, and chop both the lean and fat parts separately into small quarters.
  2. Melt the butter in a medium frying pan, and add the shallots and the squares of prosciutto fat. Cook until golden. Add the lean prosciutto, and cook for 2 more minutes. Season with pepper. Stir in cream, and keep warm over low heat while the pasta is cooking. Don't forget to keep stirring.
  3. Boil the pasta in a large pan of rapidly boiling salted water. Drain. Turn into a armed serving bowl, and toss with the sauce. Stir in the parmesan and serve right away.
We LOVED the rich flavor of this dish!! Enjoy!



0 comments: